Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Monday, March 06, 2006

The 78th Academy Awards

I stayed up all night and watched the ceremonies with a little bottle of cheap sparkling wine. I didn't like the first-time host Jon Stewart too much. Somehow the whole show seemed a bit too serious, maybe it's also because of the movies that were competing. It's a good thing that they are making movies with more meaningful themes naturally, but I expect only light entertainment from the Oscars: glamorous dresses and fun moments.

I haven't seen many of the films (yet), so I guess I didn't know who to root for. I've seen "Wallace and Gromit", but I liked "Corpse Bride" much better. Okay, so I'm a huge Tim Burton fan, and I'm amazed how he never wins anything! It doesn't really matter I know, but still I'd like to hear his acceptance speech one day. BTW Philip Seymour Hoffman didn't bark at all in his speech as was rumored beforehand. (He made some kind of pact with his friends about it when younger.)

I cheered for Ang Lee because I like him, but I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain" yet either. I will very soon I promise. I have seen "Walk the Line", so I was happy that Reese Witherspoon won. I think she deserved it. While Joaquin Phoenix is one of my favorite film stars I don't really think he should've gotten an Oscar even if he did great as Johnny Cash. The whole movie was rather predictable even if there was nothing wrong with it. Maybe there's just been too many biopics lately.

The women always look beautiful, but I guess the retro glamour doesn't work that well for me, because I think I've seen better. I liked some of the black dresses best. I thought Rachel Weisz and Felicity Huffman looked great for example. And Keira Knightley of course. The men were as boring as usual. On the red carpet they always mentioned it only took them about three minutes to get dressed (Tim Burton) or that they are wearing the same thing for the 10th year in a row (George Clooney), so a retro macho attitude seems to be going strong. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home