Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Differing opinions

I searched the blogs to see if there's something written about Anton Chekhov. Gladly at least Blog Prince shares my opinion that he is the best writer ever. :) Blog Prince writes:
"Through his writing he offered a diagnosis of sorts of his contemporary Russia and much of what he wrote about in his plays turned out to be prophetic. He offered a diagnosis, but never a remedy or cure, other than perhaps the love of life that clearly seeps through most of his work. He was a consumptive for pretty much all of his adult life. It confined him and ultimately took his life in his early 40s. But it gave him such an appreciation for life."

Clearly all people do not agree with this, since L'Homme de Plaisir writes that:
"his stories had no value to me but to describe one horrible situation after another. I had incredible difficulty forcing myself to complete this book, and I was very happy when I had finished it. I truly do not understand why Chekhov is considered a great writer."

One thing you learn very quickly on the internet is that there are always differing opinions about everything. One would think that this would help people to be more tolerant, but there doesn't seem to be too many signs of that happening these days unfortunately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home