Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Searching Chekhov

I don't feel sleepy, and I have nothing better to do. :)

If you don't like reading, on Lydia's Lounge you can actually listen to one of Chekhov's short stories, "The Bet", read by Lydia. It's thirteen and half minutes long.

Maybe I should listen to Bob Dylan more? This tidbit was totally new to me:
"In Dylan's 2004 memoir, Chronicles, Vol. 1, he claims that although one album of his songs was entirely inspired by short stories by Anton Chekhov, many of his fans and critics treat it as autobiographical. This passage is often cited as a reference to Blood On The Tracks."

Wkitten has written a poem about a dream she saw about Anton Chekhov. Here's an excerpt:
"In the smoking carriage, Dr Anton Chekhov
converses in odd German with Friedrich Nietzsche.
The latter talks all sturm and drang, destiny --
ash has fallen on his trouser leg

Chekhov is polite, but notices the ash
He’s a microscope with the small things, that’s doctoring
for insight, everything is a symptom. I can tell
he is a little bored. I interrupt, we talk"

And I have to say that reading this poem "Russian Vodka" makes it very clear that I'm not the only person obsessed with Anton Chekhov.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home