Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Finnish language

If you want to learn Finnish :), or maybe just know little something about it, go to The Finnish language, a great place to start your journey.

Finnish is a member of the Finno-Ugric language family, and it's rather different from Indo-European languages like English or German. If I was asked to describe it, I'd tell people that there is no grammatical gender or articles, and that words can be pretty long:
Finnish is a synthetic language: it uses suffixes to express grammatical relations and also to derive new words. To take a simple example, the single Finnish word talossanikin corresponds to the English phrase in my house, too.


I could also tell you that sauna is a Finnish word.

1 Comments:

  • At 15:27, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love to nitpick ;) Grammatical gender is *mostly* non-existent in Finnish, yes, except minor details like the animate-inanimate opposition between ken "who" and mikä "what".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home