Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Ronny Yu and Kung Fu Movies

Any movie that keeps me in a good mood for about a week can't be bad. I'm still talking about Fearless of course.

I thought I was a bit harsh when I wrote about hypocrisy of spreading the message of piece in the middle of fighting. But really, how many pacifist movies without violence have you seen?

Fearless isn't just a movie with some martial arts in it, it's about martial arts, that's the difference. The people behind the project seem to know what they're talking about. The story might be simple , but it's heartfelt.

And no, I've never practiced any martial arts myself. The first kung fu movie I ever saw was The Bride With White Hair (1993), which I just noticed was also directed by Ronny Yu. Actually that film was more about fantasy and wuxia.

You can read more about the differences from an interesting article on Kungfu Magazine E-Zine. There's a great interview with Ronny Yu, the director of Fearless. You should read it, if you're interested in martial arts, movies or if you just want to be inspired.

2 Comments:

  • At 03:35, Blogger Reel Fanatic said…

    All I knew of Ronny Yu before seeing Fearless was that he had done some Chucky movies, so I too was surprised and impressed with just how well he knew the Chinese martial art of Wushu

     
  • At 00:08, Blogger Anu said…

    Yes, and actually I've also seen Warriors of Virtue with the kungfu kangoroos, but I don't remeber anything about it. All I remeber is that I wasn't very impressed, and apparently I gave it 3 in the IMDb.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home