Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

I think I promised to go and see this film, so I guess I have to report now that I've done it. :) I don't usually like to give out any spoilers, but I'm sure that just about everybody knows that it's a love story between two cowboys. For me it was basically just a beautiful movie. I don't know if I thought about it as a gay love story, maybe more just as a story about life in general.

The focus is closely on the main characters: Ennis and Jack. You get a strong feeling that these two humans are part of the nature. They are also clearly affected by their social environment and by their personal backgrounds. (It's a far cry from the idea that people are free and able to do whatever they want if they just try hard enough.) The acting is great.

Ang Lee as a director seems to be just observing the happenings and not trying to manipulate the viewer. He has an eye for beauty and sensual things. The movie manages to be both realistic and poetic at the same time. So yes, I thought it was very good, and I suspect it's the sort of a film that will haunt you for a long time afterwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home