Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Gospel of Judas

Easter is on the way.

That is why it's a perfect time for The National Geographic Society to publish the first translation of The Gospel of Judas, which was discovered in Egypt in the 1970s. You can read it yourself here.

I read it through, but I'm no theologist and I found some of it hard to comprehend (and I didn't try too hard I must say). Jesus seemed to laugh a lot, that I noticed. I guess in many cultures laughing gives the impression that someone is enlightened and above others. When everything is clear to you, others' confusion and ignorance seem amusing. (Although Jesus said that he was not laughing at his disciples.) The betrayal part was quite brief.

You can find out more about the project and restoration process from the National Geographic site.

If you're in the mood to find out more about Judas Iscariot and all the philosophical questions and interpretations surrounding him, I highly recommend the article on Wikipedia. It's very well written and informative.

We all know that "Judas has become the archetype of the betrayer in Western culture", but I've never realized for example "that the similarity between the name 'Judas' and the words for 'Jew' in various European languages has contributed powerfully to anti-Semitism".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home