Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

The World Cup Update

Some very important personal matters have distracted my World Cup experience, but I've seen at least parts of every game being played.

I got 11 out of 16 right, when I tried to predict which teams will advance from the group stage. I guess that's a pretty average result. I got things wrong mostly because of wishful thinking.

I think Ghana has been the biggest (positive) surprise so far, or maybe the Czech Republic not making it through, but they had a lot of injury worries. Personally I was most upset about the Korea Republic's exit, because they played well and entertainingly.

Many defenders have caught my eye, even if they're not usually the biggest stars; the majestic Rafael Marquez seemed to be involved in everything when Mexico was playing, and Philip Lahm has played an important part in Germany's success with for example scoring the first goal in the whole tournament.

Argentina's Gabriel Heinze's been one of my favorites for some time now, so I follow him closely, I think he's had some hits and misses so far. And it's such a pleasure to watch Cafu, because he so obviously enjoys playing football.

1 Comments:

  • At 05:00, Blogger vern said…

    I haven't watched any of the matches, but I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the World Cup! If Italy wins tomorrow, the City of Toronto will explode (we have a huge Italian population). Having said that, I've seen flags hanging from car windows and horns honking throughout the tournament no matter who has won.

    I did, however, see a football game in person today (Canadian football, not soccer). It was entertaining, but my Argonauts lost 24-17 to Winnipeg.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home