Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Teaching English in Jinan

I've never been to China, But Betsy Quicksall has. You can read about her experiences from Intro to Chinese. She was teaching English in Jinan, Shandong for about a year:

"I think I am finally warming up to the idea of what it means to be a teacher. In other words, for the first 5 weeks, I was hesitant to correct the students. I was quite happy to teach, but I delicately tried to avoid pointing out their mistakes. With many students, it feels like trying to coax a shy kitten to come over to you. You don't want to make any sudden movements and scare it back into the corner. You have to be encouraging. Today, I was more critical (constructively) and it paid off.
My fear is that some students are thinking: Who is this young, rich, American kid and what are her qualifications anyway?"

And she visited other places as well:

"We spent one day in a tropical city called Jinhong before setting off on our final trek. Jinhong is home to dozens of ethnic minorities. It felt as though we had left China. There was Dai script on street signs and storefronts, the people looked completely different, and although rice, meat and vegetables were the main staples, the flavors were refreshingly different---chicken stir fried with coconut milk or sticky rice served in a pineapple."

There's not a lot about Chinese language, but there are lots of nice photos. In this case it would be preferable to read the story from start to finish though, but with some effort, you can do that of course, if you wish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home