Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Q is for Quarry

Q is for Quarry is Sue Grafton's seventeenth book in her alphabet mystery series, which I've been faithfully reading (in order) for many years now.

It's kind of lazy of a reader to get stuck in a series like this. It's easy to pick something familiar from the shelf, and obviously it's easy to market too. It's hard to resist something that comes in such a neat order. And why should I? I like detective stories, and sometimes it's hard to rememeber which ones you've read and which you haven't, but in this case it's so easy: just follow the alphabets.

The problem is that I've become little tired of the books themselves, the plots have never been really the strong point I feel. There is not so much suspense really, more just tireless legwork. You mainly return to meet Kinsey Millhone again.

Bob Hoover writes of her in his review: "Kinsey is nearing 37 as her latest adventure looms -- single, alone, no children, no hobbies, no quirks, no vices, no pet peeves and really, no personal style." I don't think that's quite true, at least she likes junk food and goes jogging every morning. :) I find her rather appealing, I'd like to be as independent, carefree and strong as Kinsey. At the best of times she makes me feel a little more brave and energetic.

I write this mainly, because Q is for Quarry is definitely one of the best ones in this series, so I think it deserves a mention. I don't know if the plot is that exceptional, apart from the fact that the author has been inspired by a real unsolved murder case from years ago, and you can find out more of that from her webpage.

What made this book enjoyable has a lot to do with the characters of two retired detectives who help with the investigation, and also it's quite interesting to know something more about Kinsey's own past. Anyway it's nice to know that there's some life left in this old series still after I was gradually starting to lose my interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home