Anu in Blogland

My thoughts and interests. Things I've learned.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Preferences

I think many people are familiar with Project Implicit.

"The IAT was originally developed as a device for exploring the unconscious roots of thinking and feeling. This web site has been constructed for a different purpose -- to offer the IAT to interested individuals as a tool to gain greater awareness about their own unconscious preferences and beliefs."


I completed two Implicit Association Tests with the following results (and my comments):

Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Tom Cruise compared to Denzel Washington.

When I decide which movies I want to see neither of those actors make much difference either in positive or negative sense. I think Denzel is a better actor, but I feel slightly sorry for Tom these days, because the media presents him as some kind of an insane freak.

Tom Cruise definitely evokes stronger feelings in me, but I think those feelings are mostly negative or confused. Denzel Washington seems like a decent person, and when I think of him, the word "reliable" comes first to my mind.

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Ocean compared to Mountains.

That's not surprising as an initial reaction, but when you think about it more it's not so clear (but that's not the point, I get it). Both seem potentially dangerous and hostile places, I don't like sailing or laying on the beach, and I can associate mountains with some good things like hermit sages and daoist paintings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home